The Worldwide Hospice Palliative Care Alliance and the International Children’s Palliative Care Network have submitted a response to the WHO online consultation on the draft outcome document for Montevideo Roadmap 2018-2030 on NCDs as a Sustainable Development Priority.
The main concern noted in the submission is the absence of any language on palliative care within the draft outcome document. WHPCA and ICPCN note that this is not in line with the WHA resolution 67.19 on palliative care or the Global Action Plan on the Prevention and Control of NCDs.
They suggested the following additions to the language to address the omission:
3. bis We are concerned with the lack of access to pain relief and palliative care services for NCDs throughout the world.
8. We will strengthen, as necessary, essential population level, people-centred public health functions and institutions to effectively prevent, control, treat and palliate NCDs to promote mental health and overall wellbeing.
Also signing on to the submission are:
- African Palliative Care Association
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Cuidados Paliativos
- Asia Pacific Hospice Palliative Care Network
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association
- Hospice Ethiopia
- Kenyan Hospices and Palliative Care Association
- Hospice Palliative Care Association of South Africa
- Hospice Palliative Care Association of Zimbabwe (HOSPAZ).