The second Friday in October, which this year falls on Friday 8th October 2021, is a day for raising international awareness of the need for children’s palliative care and the work of children’s palliative care (CPC) services worldwide. Now in its 8th year, the annual campaign is known as Hats and Masks On for Children’s Palliative Care with the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC.
This year, we are once again revising it due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic – we are again including masks – so it is ‘Hats and Masks on for Children’s Palliative Care’. Many of us are still wearing masks to go to school, university, work, shopping. so now we are encouraging you to don your hat with your mask.
WHO CAN JOIN IN THE FUN?
Anyone! We want as many people as possible to join in the fun!
WHAT IS THE DAY ABOUT?
The day aims to raise funds for children’s palliative care, but more importantly, to raise awareness of the rights of very sick children with incurable and life-threatening illnesses to receive palliative care.
We know that there are in excess of 21 million children in the world who live with a life-limiting illness or condition that will or could drastically shorten their lives.
Existing services are mostly in high income countries. Those in low and middle income countries are often underfunded and inadequate to meet the overwhelming need. As a result, millions of children have a poor quality of life and suffer from pain and other distressing symptoms which could be controlled and significantly improved with palliative care.
WHAT IS CHILDREN’S PALLIATIVE CARE?
Children’s palliative care (CPC) is holistic care that responds to the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of a child with a life-threatening or life-limiting illness as well as providing care for the child’s family. It aims to provide expert pain relief and symptom control and whatever emotional, social and spiritual support is required to enable the affected child to enjoy the best quality of life possible in the circumstances. When necessary, it supports the child at the end of life and continues to care for the bereaved family members for as long as is needed. This care is provided by a compassionate team of people who all wear different, and sometimes many, hats!
HOW CAN I TAKE PART IN HATS AND MASKS ON FOR CPC?
Hats and Masks On for CPC is an excellent way to raise awareness and funds for children’s hospices and palliative care services. You can get involved at various levels, either as:
- An individual
- A school or company
- A children’s palliative care service or NGO
GET INVOLVED AS AN INDIVIDUAL
To take part as an individual, follow these 3 simple steps:
- Wear a hat and mask to work, school or college on Friday 8th October
- Take a selfie, add the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC, upload to your Facebook page and tag ICPCN’s Twitter account and Facebook page
- Make a donation of your choosing to ICPCN in honour of the day. You will find the donate button below.
You could also:
- Get your friends together and host your very own Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, share photos on social media and tag ICPCN. Use the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC
- Hold a hat/mask making/wearing competition with prizes for the winners in different categories, such as most elegant hat, funniest hat, tallest hat, matching mask and hat etc.
- Have a ‘Funky Hat and Mask Day’ at your work or school.
Register your event and we’ll put you on the map.
No results found in this location. Please try again.
GET INVOLVED AS A SCHOOL, COLLEGE CLASS OR COMPANY
Host your own ‘Hats On 4 CPC’ event at your school or work place by following these 3 simple steps:
- Download the free materials from our website.
- Ask people to wear a hat and mask on Friday 8th October and share photos with us on social media using the hashtag #HatsOn4CPC
- Donate proceeds from your event to ICPCN or your local children’s palliative care service. You will find the donate button below or at the top of this page.
RAISE FUNDS FOR YOUR OWN CHILDREN’S PALLIATIVE CARE SERVICE OR NGO
Hats On 4 CPC is a wonderful way to raise funds for your charity. To do so follow these 3 simple steps:
- Register your event with us. We will put you on our map.
- Once you have stickers, encourage your community (schools, businesses and other organisations) to support your organisation by purchasing stickers from your charity, wearing a hat and mask on Friday 8th October and/or holding a Hats (and Masks) On for CPC event to raise funds for your organisation.
- Share your photos on social media with #HatsOn4CPC and tag ICPCN.
Register your event and we’ll put you on the map.
I’VE COLLECTED THE DONATIONS – NOW WHAT?
You can donate directly to ICPCN through the PayPal button below or using Zapper. By doing so you help us to help very sick children and their families receive the kind of care they deserve.
DONATE TO THE ICPCN #HATSON4CPC CAMPAIGN USING PAYPAL
Please feel free to donate as little or as much as you wish. Anything from $2 to $500 will be gratefully accepted and used to provide support to the people caring for children with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions around the globe. PayPal accepts payments from most major debit and credit cards from around the world.
ICPCN has bank accounts in both the United Kingdom and South Africa.
Click here to download the hat templates.